NIC.LC Registry Domain Name Rules
Click here for Blocked or Reserved Domain Names Policy
- Only letters, numbers, or hyphen ("-") allowed in domain names
- Domain names cannot begin or end with a hyphen
- Maximum length of domain names = 63 characters
- Maximum length of a complete (Fully Qualified, FQDN) domain name (including .separators) is 255 characters
- Minimum length of a domain name is 1 character.
- A name may begin with a digit
- 1 and 2 character domain names are allowed
- Domain names considered offensive may be declined
- For domains to be active on the Internet, they must have at least one configured and working name server.
- There is no restriction on the physical location or IP address of these name servers.
- Domain names may be re-sold
- Minimum registration period = 1 year
- Maximum registration period = 10 years
- Minimum renewal period = 1 year
- Maximum renewal period = 9 years
- There is no restriction on the number of domain names that a single entity or person can register.
- A domain name may be revoked if it is used for offensive, immoral or illegal purposes, including "Spam".
- A domain name may be revoked if found to be in contravention of published policies and procedures
- A domain name may be suspended or revoked if Nic.LC is directed by a court of competent jurisdiction.
- Nic.LC will use reasonable efforts to make the Name Service available at all times. However, the quality and availability of the service may be affected by factors outside our control such as but not limited to: fire, flood and subsidence, physical obstructions, atmospheric conditions, acts of God, industrial action, default or failure of a third party. The service may also be affected by faults in national and international telecommunication networks on which the service may rely.
- The registration of a new name is usually immediate and automated.
- .LC, .COM.LC, .NET.LC, .CO.LC, and .ORG.LC are currently available to any and all registrants worldwide for the stated fees.
- .EDU.LC is available ONLY to valid local Educational Institutions.
- .GOV.LC is available ONLY to valid local Government departments, agencies, ministries, etc.
- In the case of restricted second or third level domains (such as .EDU.LC and .GOV.LC), applicants may be asked to provide proof of their identity, or details of their existence as a properly constituted Saint Lucian organisation, and evidence of their ability to meet the conditions for holding such a domain name.
- For the purposes of registration policies and prices, Saint Lucian "offshore" or "International" companies are not considered local Saint Lucian entities. Nic.LC will use established laws and government policies to determine who or what constitues Saint Lucian entities.
- Upon application for registration of a new domain name, name holders agree to be bound by all published policies and terms of service. Where the name holder makes use of an agent, the agent agrees that it has made its client aware of all policies - and - that the client agrees to be bound by those policies.
- If there is conflict between an applicant for a new domain name and the holder of an existing name, it is for those parties to resolve the conflict. Any resulting change in registration details of the existing name must be mutually agreed between the parties.
- Nic.LC does not decide whether an applicant has a legitimate right to the name. The applicant, in lodging the request for the name, warrants that it is entitled to register the name as requested.
- Applicants who misrepresent their entitlement to register or use a name are warned that this may result in action from others who claim rights to the name. If Nic.LC, or any of their agents, officers or employees incur costs through involvement in disputes over names, any applicant for, or holder of, a name which is subject to a dispute will be liable for those costs.
- A domain name may be cancelled or redelegated at any stage where the name holder does not comply with these requirements or fails to meet any fees or other liabilities in connection with the registration or use of the domain name.
- Nic.LC reserves the right to change any and all policies at any time, providing that such policy changes become effective upon posting on this and other websites.